Oved & Oved LLP routinely counsels and advises apparel manufacturers, retailers, designers, importers, wholesale showrooms, licensors, licensees, manufacturer representatives, and other garment-related businesses. We bring a unique insider perspective and experienced approach to an industry known for its selectivity and operational dependence on close personal relationships. Our clients are often leaders in the areas of couture, sport, urban and classical fashion and design. Our attorneys have handled everything from employment matters to supply chain operations, imports and U.S. Customs and Homeland Security matters. Our deep familiarity with the industry as a whole enables us to quickly and cost-effectively refine and enhance our client’s businesses.
The firm’s comprehensive collection of apparel and textile industry services covers:
- Business Formation – covering the formation of limited liability companies, corporations and partnerships. Our attorneys structure and form business entities, assist in capitalization and financing, draft buy-sell agreements and executive compensation agreements for owners, draft agreements with employees and suppliers, and negotiate and steer major transactions. We have experience in additional areas including negotiating factoring agreements, letters of credit, daily business contracts and commercial and retail leases. We focus on planning for the unexpected, remedying known problems and creating profitable opportunities.
- Business Structure and Organization – structuring and reorganizing the drafting and negotiating of corporate and business agreements and contracts for entities of every kind. Such agreements cover operating, shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements.
- Business Transactions – encompassing acquisitions, financing, dissolution and sale of businesses, as well as mergers, investment and development agreements and growth and exit strategies.
- Business Operations/Management Issues – including employment, distribution, supply and licensing agreements, as well as all forms of contracts necessary for the operation of an ongoing fashion or garment concern. Our attorneys assist clients at every stage of their business, from critical decisions to daily business operations. We provide extensive guidance and valuable resources for start-ups looking to break into the market and seek financing. At the same time, we create new opportunities for growth while reducing risk exposure, whether by acquiring other businesses, strategic partnering or private equity financing.
- Commercial and Business Litigation – covering matters related to breach of contract, business torts, unfair competition, business dissolution disputes, real estate, employment issues, non-compete agreements, financing and mortgages, sales disputes, shareholder disputes, and bankruptcy. Our attorneys have achieved swift resolutions across a full range of disputes, including conflicts involving goods suppliers, retailer charge-backs and general commercial issues. We aggressively prosecute our client’s matters and consistently reach favorable results for clients in mediation and arbitration.
- Intellectual Property Matters – including copyright and trademark registration; prosecuting and defending copyright and trademark infringement actions; licensing; domestic and international registration and branding of marks and designs. Our attorneys guide our clients through the process of protecting their intellectual property, from advising on the availability of a proposed copyright or trademark to assisting with the registration process, both domestically and internationally. We fight to prosecute and prevent infringement of our client’s copyrights and trademarks. We also defend clients in proceedings where they are alleged to infringe on the rights of others, including before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and in state and federal courts.
- Licensing – We protect and advise businesses in all aspects of their licensing agreements, whether they are the licensee or licensor. Our attorneys evaluate and assess deals, and review and draft documentation within the framework of our client’s business plan. Oved & Oved LLP has vast experience in fashion industry licensing, acting as general counsel or special licensing counsel for our numerous designer clients and also representing manufacturing clients, as both licensors and licensees, in licensing transactions, joint ventures and other business structures. In addition to traditional trademark and copyright licensing, the firm has experience with “private label” licensing projects involving retailers.
- Real Estate – the firm assists in the acquisition, sale and lease, on behalf of purchasers, sellers, owners and tenants of commercial buildings, showroom and warehouse space, residential properties, the financing and refinancing of such properties, as well as the leasing of office, showroom and retail space.