Mr. Oved oversees the Firm’s most high profile litigations and complex transactional matters. His reputation as a persuasive, tireless and determined advocate for his clients is hard-earned and surpassed only by his consummate deal making ability and exceptional talent for masterfully resolving disputes. Mr. Oved is committed to bringing value to his clients by offering creative, timely and strategic advice to help solve sophisticated legal issues and achieve his clients’ specific business or strategic goals.
In his notable career, Mr. Oved has gained a unique blend of business, litigation and transactional experience, serving his clients in all aspects of commercial litigation and business transactions. Mr. Oved regularly represents strategic investors as well as public and private companies in major M&A transactions, acquisitions, investments, divestitures, joint ventures and carve-out transactions and often serves as outside corporate counsel to entrepreneurs, business owners and domestic and international companies, helping clients structure, negotiate and document deals from formation and financing through the acquisition, growth, restructuring, merger or sale of their business interests.
Mr. Oved’s clients include major real estate developers, owners, operators, promotors, JV entities, investors, private equity firms, emerging and mature technology companies, financial services firms, apparel companies, construction companies, commercial and consumer product manufacturers, luxury goods manufacturers, publishers, consumer electronics firms, retailers, high net worth individuals, content creators and owners, holders of internationally recognized brands and a variety of private business owners.
Fully aware that one makes a living by what he gets, but makes a life by what he gives, Mr. Oved serves as a Member of the Board of Trustees of the Rabbinical College of America, Yeshiva Shaare Torah, and as a Faculty Member of the Institute of American and Talmudic Law. The Firm also serves as General Counsel to the YJP – Young Jewish Professionals, Sephardic Community Center, Yeshiva Shaare Torah and the United Lubavitcher Yeshivoth.
Mr. Oved has been quoted extensively as an expert on various legal matters by numerous publications, including the New York Times, The New York Post, The Real Deal and Crain’s New York Business. He graduated with honors from New York University’s Stern School of Business as well as Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law where he served on the renowned Arts & Entertainment Law Journal. Mr. Oved also clerked for federal Judge Robert J. Ward in the Southern District of New York. Among his honors, he has been repeatedly and consistently selected as a New York Metro Super Lawyers® as well as a Martindale Hubbell, Preeminent AV Rated Lawyer.
Representative Litigation Matters:
- Successfully represented nationwide service company against claims initiated by multiple Attorneys General in connection with allegations of fraudulent advertising and failure to comply with local ordinances regarding licensure.
- Obtained dismissal of RICO claims brought by a merchant service company against an electronics retailer.
- Successfully represented CEO and Chairman of Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in large securities fraud, ERISA, and accounting irregularity class actions, which included a white collar criminal defense (including SEC and NYSE investigations) in actions involving the Securities and Exchange Commission and USAO.
- Successfully achieved multi-million dollar arbitration award for damages and attorneys’ fees in major partnership dispute between co-owners of a chain of Manhattan retail stores including corporate headquarters of an $85 million Manhattan office building; successfully defend award through multiple confirmation proceedings and appeal.
- Successfully defeated federal commercial bribery action brought by worldwide electronics manufacturer, obtained dismissal of the action, two attorneys’ fees awards and press release that cleared client of any wrongdoing.
- Obtained favorable settlement for hedge fund manager in employment dispute with the majority shareholder involving claims for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and conversion of corporate assets.
- Successfully represented celebrity iron chef client in obtaining New York State Supreme Court judgment, interest and legal costs for breach of contract action for unpaid consulting fees. Case reported on in multiple media sources.
- Obtained favorable settlement for telecommunications broker in commissions case against Fortune 500 telecommunications company.
- Successfully defeated motion to dismiss fraud and rescission counterclaims against world-wide mall operator who sued client for breach of its lease at World Trade Center. Decision featured in the Real Deal.
- Obtained favorable settlement in a highly publicized partnership dispute between the owners of Manhattan real estate brokerage and various other real estate businesses. Settlement featured in the Real Deal.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 institutional lending company in complex securities and ERISA class actions.
- Successfully represented several European soccer legends in connection with hotly contested sale of TriBeCa hotel development site and resultant litigation, appeal and arbitrations. Obtained court order for payment of client’s costs and disbursements. Case reported on in The Real Deal.
- Successfully represented manufacturer in Federal jury trial against national retailer for trademark infringement and obtained multi-million dollar award including a disgorgement of profits, attorneys’ fees and interest, and received one of the top 50 verdicts of 2017.
- Successfully represented world famous trademark owner in enjoining foreign manufacturer from continuing to infringe its brand.
- Effectively represented high-net worth individual in state and federal litigations concerning several large tracts of ocean-front property in the Hamptons.
- Successfully represented corporate trademark owner in New York Federal Court against Chinese government owned manufacturing company in a dispute over trademark infringement resulting in a broad preliminary injunction and favorable settlement for client.
- Successfully represented well-known and high profile night club in New York’s exclusive Meat Packing District against claims of sound infiltration by neighboring property by analyzing the complex cumulative principles of sound dispersion.
- Successfully represented CEO of health care provider in Florida Federal Court over a highly defamatory website resulting in the shutdown of the website.
- Successfully represented several well-known night-club proprietors in reclaiming their interest in the intellectual property associated with several night clubs they developed, resulting in a favorable settlement for the developers.
- Successfully represented owner of large New Jersey shopping complex against neighboring developer’s attempt to violate restrictive covenants governing the utilization of both properties and which resulted in a multi-million dollar resolution of the parties’ dispute.
- Successfully represented owner of landmark NoHo building in multifaceted litigation resulting in eviction of problem tenants to permit building’s sale.
- Successfully represented a plaintiff in obtaining a default judgment in Federal District Court after a two day hearing as a sanction for destruction of electronic evidence in a dispute among partners in a real estate venture.
- Successfully represented prominent corporate tenant seeking to rescind a multi-million dollar long-term lease in the Soho neighborhood of Manhattan on the basis of fraudulent inducement.
- Successfully represented telecommunications broker in commissions litigation against Fortune 500 company.
- Successfully represented pharmaceutical company and individual officers in commercial contract litigation over theft of trade secrets and poaching employees.
- Successfully represented leading New York construction firm in dispute concerning major downtown construction project.
- Successfully defended California-based manufacturer of telecommunications equipment in products liability litigation against local service providers of telephone services.
- Successfully represented REIT in complex anti-takeover litigation.
Representative Transactional Matters:
- Represented a publicly traded home heating oil company in the acquisition of assets of a Maryland based full-service petroleum products and HVAC services company servicing approximately 28,800 accounts with annual volume (heating oil, propane and motor fuel) of approximately 20 million gallons.
- Represented a publicly traded full service energy provider in the acquisition of assets of a New York based environmental remediation and tank and utility related services company.
- Represented a 501(c)(3) based community center in connection with $15,500,000 bond conversion and refinancing.
- Represented Religious Corporation in connection with multiple refinancing’s requiring NY Attorney General Approvals.
- Acted as counsel to world renowned couture apparel company in connection with its flaghip retail lease in Soho.
- Acted as counsel to purchaser with respect to the acquisition of a contiguous portfolio of mixed use properties consisting of an entire city block in Harlem.
- Represented Purchaser in connection with the financing and acquisition of a $25,000,000 commercial property in downtown Brooklyn.
- Represented Purchaser in connection with a $29,000,000 refinancing of its property in downtown Brooklyn.
- Represented global cloud infrastructure provider with lease of SoHo headquarters, as well as multiple lease amendments expanding leased premises footprint within the building.
- Represented luxury fashion tenant in the negotiation and consummation of Class-A retail store leases in throughout the United States.
- Represented emerging collective office space company in the negotiation of over 150,000sf of co-working space leases in NYC including Herald Square, Lincoln Square, as well as the construction, license, and vendor agreements related to their business.
- Represented internationally recognized trademark licensee in connection with accessory licenses related to fashion, sports and entertainment.
- Represented major private equity firm in connection with $5,000,000 SoHo headquarters lease.
- Successfully negotiated and consummated an extensive trademark licensing agreement with an internationally renowned music record artist.
- Successfully negotiated a management agreement between a world renowned hair stylist and an international boutique hotel for the creation of a salon/spa.
- Counseled restaurateurs in the establishment of a four story restaurant/lounge in the New York Meat Packing District and a 6,500 square foot restaurant in Midtown Manhattan.
- The Supreme Court of the United States of America
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- All New York State Courts
- All New Jersey State Courts