Arts & Entertainment Law
Virtually every successful business today has brand and marketing strategies that include multimedia components over a range of platforms including the Internet, television, cable, radio, print and film.
Our entertainment attorneys work with our clients as they devise the media strategy that works best for them by structuring the deals that will maximize brand exposure and minimize associated risk. Our attorneys’ experience in and familiarity with every media platform enables them to navigate the legal and business hurdles that confront our clients as they consider their marketing and promotion alternatives.
The firm regularly counsels many advertising, communications, public relations and marketing firms, modeling agencies, artists and entertainers involved in music, film, radio and broadcasting, legitimate theatre and television. We also provide experienced counsel and support to licensing representatives and entertainment companies involved in the exploitation of intellectual property rights as well as actors, models, musicians, producers, directors, songwriters, recording artists and record companies, performers, literary publishers, art galleries, agents, managers, talent agencies, music publishers, catalogue companies, distributors and writers in their extensive artistic endeavors.
We work across the industry, representing marquee clients in music, television, radio, theater and other live entertainment, and magazine and book publishing. We help clients develop relationships and secure agreements to exploit their work across multiple market segments of the entertainment industry.
Our entertainment industry team provides clients with a comprehensive, unified and collaborative legal solution. Our transactional lawyers provide full support on financing, production, IP protection and licensing from the start to the finish of a project. Our litigators work to help clients maintain the flexibility and cost structure they need to thrive, formulate ways to structure projects to improve the financial result and manage disruptions when they arise. We help ensure compliance, whether you are a for-profit or nonprofit entity, and secure approvals for foreign talent to work in the United States.
With deep expertise in our clients’ legal and business issues, we help them spot opportunities, identify issues before they arise, and manage risk, freeing them to focus on the creative work they love. We have long-term relationships with many clients, which enable us to be a valuable source of institutional knowledge.
The matters we handle on a regular basis include the following:
- Rights acquisitions for entertainment productions in all media.
- Motion picture, television, home video/DVD and related financing, production and distribution.
- Production and financing for live theatrical productions (on and off Broadway), including representation of a number of prominent producers, writers and composers.
- Music publishing.
- Streaming and downloading of music on the Internet.
- Licensing of famous fictional characters and trademarks in connection with a wide variety of goods and services including video games, toys and apparel.
- Trademark counseling, registration practice and dispute resolution.
- Copyright counseling, including joint authorship issues, termination of licenses, and work-for-hire issues.
- Radio station talent agreements.
- Print, online, radio and television syndication agreements.
- Sale of artwork and other matters related to the visual arts.
- Development, distribution, licensing and marketing of video games and board games.
- Production and pre-broadcast counseling.
- Title clearance reports-analysis of proposed titles for television programs and feature films to assess any potential legal risk .
- Negotiation and drafting of literary option and purchase agreements and life rights agreements.
- Screenplay/teleplay legal review and advice.
- Writer collaboration agreements, releases, writer/director/talent employment agreements, loan-out corps.
- LLC & LLP formation for filmed entertainment projects, and production counsel services.